Not sure if it’s a piece of big news for Melbourne art lovers but NGV is having an exhibition on Van Gogh at the moment. So… as a ‘art lover’ (who has barely gone to any gallery before) I went to the show today!
To be precise, I went to the venue yesterday and spent 30 mins there just to get the ticket (yeah it was very successful🙀)… So today I went again at 9:30 in the morning, hoping there could be less people. I can always hope, cannot I?
This is the line just to get tickets, and there is another one to get into the exhibition itself.
- Website: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/exhibition/van-gogh-and-the-seasons/
- Venue: NGV
- Time: till 9 Jul 2017
- Ticket price: 28 p.p (online transaction fee of 4.5 applies, and you will need to print out the ticket)
All in all I am quite happy with the exhibition. Although it doesn’t have those masterpieces like Sunflower, there were two things I like about the show in particular😸. Firstly it shows how Van Gogh evolves from his early work to the works everyone know about. Even I can tell how his work moved from very traditional painting style towards a vibrant and dramatic style. I was quite proud of myself to be able to feel it!💖 Secondly many paintings have labels for kids, which tells the story of the painting in easy language and encourage kids to think. Honestly I read lots of them too and it was quite intriguing. 😹
If you are interested to see what’s in the exhibition, have a look at my YouTube video below!😊 As said it’s a very impressive event and definitely worth the ticket and time!
Some tips on the exhibition:
- Avoid weekends, or at least weekend afternoons. Go weekdays or early in the morning to avoid the crowds.
- Buy tickets online and print it.
- Don’t carry large bags. During busy hours there is a line to put things in cloaks.
- Do some research before you go. Actually just read Wikipedia will do – it’s much easier to understand the work if you link it back to his life.
- The place allows take pictures but the light is very dim there. My mobile phone took better picture than a decent camera there.